what you need
3/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
2 lb. beef stew meat, such as beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks
6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, chopped
1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
6 carrots (about 1 lb.), sliced
1-1/2 lb. potatoes (about 3), peeled, cut into large chunks
1can (14-1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1can (14-1/2 oz.) beef broth
excess fat from meat and cut into even 1-inch chunks using a sharp knife.
2. PLACE dressing and beef in large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate 30 min. to marinate.
3. COOK bacon in large pot on medium heat 5 min. or until crisp. Remove bacon from pot using slotted spoon.
4. DRAIN excess bacon fat carefully into a tin can, rather than pouring down sink. (Note: bacon fat will be extremely hot.) Place can in refrigerator until fat has solidified before discarding.
5. ADD onion and mushrooms to pot; cook on medium-high heat 10 min. or until softened. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Add beef, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes with their liquid, broth and bacon to pot.
6. BRING to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour 15 min. or until meat is tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Makes 8 servings.