Zucchini Pickles: Easier than You Think! | Kraft in the Kitchen

Zucchini Pickles: Easier—and More Delicious—than You Think!

I know a lot of people bemoan the abundance of zucchini during the summer, but I personally love it! Zucchini is such a delicious and versatile vegetable. From delicious Chocolate Chip-Zucchini Loaf to Stuffed Zucchini Boats, there are a million tasty ways to enjoy it!

To me, pickles are an essential summer food. When I think of summer picnic recipes, somehow pickles are always part of the equation, whether in relish, on a sandwich or as a zesty side dish.

I’ve always wanted to try making pickles, and when I found zucchini on sale at the grocery store, the idea for these Pepper and Garlic Zucchini Pickles was born. It was my first try making pickles, and I totally hit it out of the park! They’re tangy and salty and garlicky and just all-around delicious. I can’t believe I made them myself!

zucchini-collage

I started with some basic fresh ingredients: zucchini, fresh dill, garlic, peppercorns, salt, water, and HEINZ® Distilled White Vinegar. I love that HEINZ Vinegar is all-natural and made from sun-ripened corn. It’s a great choice for pickling!

I start by peeling and lightly mashing the garlic, then adding my seasonings to the bottom of my pint jars. The garlic, dill and peppercorns add delicious flavor to the pickles!

zuchhini-2

Then I wash and slice my zucchini, and pack it into the jars, filling them up as much as I could. I find it helpful to gently shake the jars a few times to help things settle and make more room. Once the jars are filled, I combine the salt, vinegar and water for the brine solution, then pour the mixture into the jars. Add lids and refrigerate 24 hours, and you’re all set!

These pickles seriously could not be easier, and they are so delicious you’ll want to make them again and again! They keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks (if you can make them last that long!). These pickles would go wonderfully with these Picnic Basket Turkey Sandwiches, and are perfect for adding to any summer picnic recipe list!

42 Comments

1. Author Image
    Agnes says:

This recipe sounds great. I use the same recipe for my garlic cucumbers for the past 5 years, we are on our last jar from last summer. I will try the zucchini when I get my next batch from the garden.

2. Author Image
    joyce rabe says:

I would like to make these zucchini pickles, but I don’t know how much water, vinegar, salt to use…also do you have to heat the brine or put it on cold
    thank you.

3. Author Image
    Marilyn Peters says:

I have made this request twice before and when I post it, I get a notice that I posted too fast so once more, I’ll make my request and if I get the same response I’ll give up. I want to try to make these zucchini refrigerator pickles but there are no amounts listed. Please respond giving the amounts of the ingredients. Thank you.

4. Author Image
    Carol says:

I’m interested in making this pepper & garlic zucchini pickles, but you don’t list the measurements for the ingredients. Please help

5. Author Image
    Gail Rote says:

You give the ingredients but you do not say how much of each ingredient you use for each jar. I would love to try these but I don’t want to add too much of one thing and not enough of another. Please send me the complete receipe. Thank you. Sincerely, Gail Rote.

6. Author Image
    Donna says:

You’ve mentioned ingredients but failed to give any amounts for those ingredients? Is it a cup of salt, a tablespoon etc…. and how much vinegar? Because you know the amounts doesn’t mean anyone else does! I’ve never pickled anything either, but would love to make these for my husband as he loves zucchini!

7. Author Image
    Audrey says:

I read the recipe. It says to heat up the water canner but then I see nothing more about placing he jars in the water canner. If this step is required, how long to water bath? The other option, I suppose, is that you are just putting all ingredients together and just placing in the fridge without water bathing.