Learn all you need to know about making crêpes at home with help from Kraft Recipes! Whether you prefer savory crêpe creations or delectable dessert crêpes, find the tips and advice that you need to get started with this handy article. After all, not only is making crêpes at home simple — it’s a lot of fun, too!
A Little About Crêpes:
At its basis, a crêpe is a very thin pancake paired with a sweet or savory filling. Originating in Brittany, France, in the early 20th century, white flour crêpes have been making the world a tastier place for over a hundred years. Today, crêpes continue to grow in popularity, and many countries offer their own version of these melt-in-your-mouth masterpieces.
Types of Crêpes:
When it comes to crêpes, your options are limitless. If you tend to have a sweet tooth, you may enjoy a fruit crêpe. Bananas, strawberries, raspberries and peaches are a few popular filling options. But it doesn’t stop there! Chocolate hazelnut spread and dulce de leche can serve as delicious fillings for dessert crêpes, too. As for savory crêpes, ham, cheese, pork, eggs, mushrooms and veggies are some excellent options for fillings.
Making Crêpes at Home
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
How to Prepare Crêpes
- First, combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in milk until blended.
- Next, add the eggs and mix well.
- Heat a small heavy nonstick skillet on medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter into skillet; tilt skillet to evenly coat bottom with batter. Cook 1 to 2 min. or until bottom of crêpe is lightly browned; turn. Cook to brown other side. Transfer crêpe to plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in between in each crêpe to keep them from sticking until serving.
Here comes the fun part! After your crêpes have cooled, it’s time to choose a filling. As mentioned above, you have plenty of choices when it comes to filling. We recommend keeping the filling simple the first time around before experimenting with more complex recipes. Once you’ve selected your filling, place the crêpe best side down. Spoon the filling into the center of the crêpe, and then fold it in half. Fold it in half once more, until you have a triangle four layers thick. And just like that, you have a delicious crêpe. Bon appétit!
Need ideas for simple fillings? Check out the recipes below:
To learn more about making crêpes at home, check out this video: