Get recipe: Feta and Poblano Morning Tarts
Sunny-side-up eggs can get you out the door when you need a quick bite, but they’re also great in intricate dishes such as a Country Morning Skillet with potatoes, peppers and onions, or fun dishes, such as the Sunny-Side-Up Hot Dog. Making sunny-side-up eggs only takes a few items and around 5 minutes, depending on how you like your yolks. In general, the egg should be cooked until the egg whites are set. Read on to learn how to make sunny-side-up eggs.
How to Make Sunny-Side-Up Eggs: What You Need
Making sunny-side-up eggs requires only a couple tools: a skillet and spatula. And your essential ingredients are even simpler: eggs and butter. You can add extra flavor to your sunny-side-up eggs with pepper, cheese and other garnishes.
How to Make Sunny-Side-Up Eggs: Instructions
- Heat butter in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Use 1 to 2 teaspoons of butter per egg. Or, spray pan with cooking spray.
- Break eggs, 1 at a time, into skillet, leaving spaces between eggs
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook 4 to 5 min. or until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness.
- To speed up cooking process, cover skillet while cooking eggs. However, eggs will not look as "sunny" yellow if you cover the eggs because the steam trapped under the lid partially poaches the egg yolk.
How to Make Sunny-Side-Up Eggs: Final Tips
Learning how to make sunny-side-up eggs is a skill that you can use again and again, and it’s an easy way to start the day. For your safety, when making sunny-side-up eggs, cook until the yolk and egg whites are set.
For more tasty recipes with eggs, check out our collections of cheesy egg casseroles and bakes and more breakfast recipes with eggs.
*SAFE HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS: eggs may contain Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. To prevent illness from bacteria: "Use pasteurized eggs or egg products when preparing recipes that call for using eggs raw or undercooked" Keep eggs refrigerated, cook eggs until yolks are firm, and cook foods containing eggs thoroughly.