1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and side of an 8-inch springform pan; set aside. Combine the 1-1/2 cups coconut and the 1/4 cup pecans; stir in melted butter. Press coconut mixture firmly onto bottom of pan (photo 1). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
2. Meanwhile, for filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the 1/3 cup sugar, the cocoa powder, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat in egg yolks just until combined (do not overbeat). Pour into crust-lined pan. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken. Remove from oven; sprinkle with the 1/2 cup pecans.
3. Meanwhile, for meringue: Thoroughly wash and dry beaters. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 5 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form (tips stand straight).
4. Spread meringue over hot cheesecake (photo 2), carefully sealing to edge of pan. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Return cheesecake to oven; bake for 30 minutes more.
5. Cool cheesecake in springform pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Loosen and remove side of the springform pan. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours before serving. Before serving, sprinkle with toasted coconut. Makes 12 servings.