Freezing 101: Everything you need to know
These simple dos and don'ts will help you keep your freezer full of dinner options.
- DO label items before adding them to your freezer. Include a description, the serving size and the date.
- DO keep a list of what is in your freezer and the dates things were added. Cross things off as you remove them.
- DO store similar foods together – staples on one shelf, casseroles and prepared food on another.
- DO freeze foods in individual portions. You can thaw only what you need and your thawing time is shortened.
- DON'T choose containers that are too large for the food. Squeeze excess air from freezer bags before sealing.
- DON'T fill your freezer with baking dishes. Line dishes with foil before assembling a casserole, wrap and freeze the finished casserole and then lift from dish and store in a resealable freezer-weight plastic bag.
- DON'T fill containers of soups, stews and sauces to the very brim. Leave 1 inch of space to allow for expansion during freezing.