Ethnic Cuisine: French
French cuisine is considered one of the world’s most refined cuisines and has evolved over the centuries. Ingredients and dishes vary by region.
Stocking the French Kitchen
|In the Pantry:
> Fleur de sel (Sea salt)
> Herbes de Provence
> Dijon mustard
|In the Fridge:
> Puff pastry
> Butter (unsalted)
> Green beans
> Mushrooms (white button, porcini)
Nothing warms the heart like bites of crusty, cheesy French ...
How soon can you get this savory Swiss cheese, ham and slice...
Classic French Dishes
- French Onion Soup: classic soup featuring a rich broth filled to the brim with golden brown onions, topped with a slice of toasted bread and gooey melted cheese. Try this French Onion Soup recipe.
- Potato-Leek Soup: a hearty and flavorful soup of potatoes and leeks, simply simmered with seasonings in either broth or water. Try this Garlic Potato Leek Soup recipe.
- Ratatouille: a popular Provencal dish of mixed vegetables that may include eggplant, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers or zucchini along with garlic and herbs. Try this KRAFT Easy Fall Ratatouille recipe.
- Potatoes Au Gratin: potatoes that are topped with a mixture of cheese or breadcrumbs and butter, then baked or broiled until brown and crispy. Try this Classic Potatoes au Gratin recipe.
- Caramelized Onion Tart: baked tart of caramelized onions nestled atop a crispy crust. Try this Caramelized Onion Tart recipe.
- Coq Au Vin: a traditional French dish of chicken, vegetables and herbs cooked together with red wine. Try this Made-Over Coq au Vin recipe.
- Cassoulet: a slowly cooked casserole of white beans and various meats (such as sausages, pork and preserved duck or goose), which varies from region to region. Try this Quick Pork Cassoulet.
- Crème Brûlée: literally translated as "burnt cream", this luscious dessert features a creamy custard beneath a brittle topping of caramelized sugar. Try this Easy Crème Brûlée.
- Chocolate Mousse: a rich and airy dessert made with chocolate and whipped cream or beaten egg whites, often fortified with gelatin. Try this Chocolate Creme Mousse recipe.