Recipe and Photo by: Better Homes and Gardens
Fix a chicken thigh and vegetable stir-fry faster than you can get takeout. No rice on hand? Serve over rice noodles or even vermicelli.
ounces rice stick noodles or thin vermicelli, broken
ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
teaspoon chili oil or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
teaspoon ground turmeric
carrots, cut into julienne strips
red or green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch strips (1/2 cup)
halved cashews or peanuts
1. In a saucepan cook rice sticks in boiling water for 3 minutes. (Or, cook vermicelli according to package directions.) Drain. Set aside; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, cut chicken thighs or breasts into thin, bite-sized strips; set aside.
3. For sauce, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, basil, cornstarch, chili oil or crushed red pepper, and turmeric; set aside.
4. Add cooking oil to wok or 12-inch skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry carrot strips in hot oil for 1 minute. Add broccoli flowerets; stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add red or green sweet pepper strips; stir-fry for 1-1/2 to 3 minutes more or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from wok. Add chicken to wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok.
5. Stir sauce; add to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return vegetables to wok. Stir to coat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot rice sticks or vermicelli. Top with cashews or peanuts. Makes 4 servings.
nutritional info per serving
K:63150v0:148089 Copyright - © [1994-2013] Meredith Corporation