1. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a large plastic bag set in a large, deep bowl.
2. For marinade, in a small mixing bowl gradually stir hot water into peanut butter. (The mixture will stiffen at first.) Stir in the chili sauce, soy sauce, the 2 tablespoons oil, the 2 tablespoons vinegar, the garlic, gingerroot or ground ginger, and ground red pepper.
3. Pour marinade over chicken. Seal the bag and turn to coat chicken thighs with marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
4. For salsa, in a medium mixing bowl combine the chopped fruit, cucumber, green onion, parsley or cilantro, sugar, the 1 tablespoon oil, and the 1 tablespoon vinegar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
5. In a covered grill arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken on the grill rack over the drip pan but not over the coals. Lower the grill hood. Grill chicken for 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
6. If desired, serve chicken on ti leaves. Spoon some of the salsa over chicken; pass remaining salsa. If desired, serve with hot cooked rice. Makes 6 servings.