1. In a large skillet combine onion, sweet pepper, undrained tomatoes, picante sauce, cumin, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.
2. Spread one-third of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with six of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and 1 cup of the cheese. Add another one-third of the bean mixture; top with remaining 6 tortillas and remaining bean mixture.
3. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 10 minutes.
4. If desired, top with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, green onions, and olives, and serve with sour cream.
5. Makes 8 main-dish servings