Championship Sports Party
Both you and your little slugger will be winners with a party that includes team colors, stadium food and plenty of laughs. Now who's the most valuable parent?
my daughter is having a "ball" party. She plays softball and...
My 5-year-old son who plays baseball LOVED this cake! Very ...
This was easy to make and turned out really cute, although I...
I made this cake for my son's 3rd birthday. It was really go...
The crowd is hushed as you examine the approach. No pressure...
7 Great Ways to Decorate
- Primary colors work best; use them in streamers and balloons.
- Enlist the kids to create a stadium mural to hang over the door: "Welcome to ________ Arena."
- Create mock-bleachers by lining up rows of chairs in a half-moon shape.
- Set up a snack table in the corner of the party room with a "snack bar" banner taped above it.
- Play "Take Me Out To The Ballpark" as party guests arrive.
- Dress up as the referee: black ball cap, soccer shorts and jersey - don't forget the whistle!
- Display trophies, medals and ribbons; keep them on hand for the awards ceremony.
Fun For All
- Tell guests to come dressed in one of two team colors or give them a colored bandana when they arrive. Divide kids into their teams and have them come up with a team name. Then let the games begin!
tip: for children aged 8 and up, assign a captain to keep track of points scored during the party.
- Do the long jump. Mark an "X" on the floor with masking tape; each child will jump from the starting line (no running) - the longest jump wins points for the team.
- Play balloon volleyball. Each team stands in a circle and attempts to keep a balloon off the ground for as long as possible. Award a point for every second each team keeps the balloon afloat.
- Shoot some hoops. Place a garbage can or laundry basket six to eight feet away from the start line (marked on the floor with masking tape) and have the kids attempt to score baskets with a spongy ball or beanbag. Award points for every basket.
- Set up an obstacle course around the backyard using pylons, tires and lawn chairs.
- Have both teams sign a baseball, soccer ball or other favorite piece of sports equipment and give to the birthday boy or girl as a special prize.
- And the medal goes to… At the end of the games, hand out prize ribbons to all team players.
Fab Party Favors
- sporty stickers
- spongy ball or tennis balls
- sports cards