Mystical Magic Party
You don't have to be a magician to make your child's birthday party a hit. Whether you've got a budding Houdini or a charming wizard, you can adapt our ideas for a memorable, magical time.
Store bought pound cake makes this "show-stopper" castle cak...
What a cute cake! I made this for my daughter's 5 year old ...
I make this for my Mom on her birthday and she loves it. She...
7 Great Ways to Decorate
- Buy balloons, streamers, hats, paper tablecloths, plastic tableware and other decorations in a purple, silver and black color scheme.
- Hang purple fabric in the doorway to the party room; use fabric glue to stick on playing cards or wizardly stars.
- Purchase cardboard top hats and use as a centerpiece on the snack table or as a container for snacks like chips.
- Add stars and moon stickers to a tablecloth.
- Invite young wizards to decorate purple cone-shaped party hats with silver star stickers.
- Make simple bunny or crystal ball templates out of craft paper; have your little wizards trace the templates onto poster board and cut out their own placemats.
- Download clipart or photocopy magical-themed pictures (top hats and bunnies, white-gloved magician hands, crystal balls and wands) and post around the party room.
Fun For All
- Hire a magician for a guaranteed good time.
tip: check references and don't serve food during the performance.
- Don't want to hire a professional? Teach children a simple trick at the party and give instructions and props as party favors.
- You be the magician! Younger children will enjoy the Cup & Ball trick (shuffle three cups with a different colored ball underneath each; kids guess which color is where).
- Play Disappearing Guests (a.k.a. hide and seek) or Magical Freeze (when the music stops, so do the children).
- Ask guests to use their magical powers to guess how many Mystic Marbles are in the jar; award a prize for the closest guess.
- Divide children into teams and have a Magical Clues Treasure Hunt (use simple riddles, invisible pens, and backward writing to pose clues).
- Have the birthday boy or girl award Certificates of Magic to all budding magicians at the end of the party.
Fab Party Favors
- invisible ink pen
- deck of playing cards
- instructions for one easy card trick
- magic-trick kit from a dollar, magic or toy store
- magic wand