How do you like your sweet potatoes? Mashed in a casserole with a puffy marshmallow topping? Baked and topped with cinnamon butter or into a silky pie? A member of the morning glory family and native to Central America, sweet potatoes are not related to yams or regular potatoes. While yams and sweet potatoes are terms used interchangeably in the United States, the yams sold here are actually sweet potatoes..
Serving Sweet Potatoes
- Cooked sweet potatoes can be used interchangeably with winter squash in most recipes.
- Slice or cube boiled sweet potatoes and glaze with honey or brown sugar.
- Top baked sweet potatoes with dollops of BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream.
- Flavor mashed sweet potatoes with a touch of maple syrup and nutmeg and garnish with a sprinkle of toasted chopped PLANTERS Pecans.
- Roast peeled, cubed sweet potatoes alongside onions and other root vegetables for a flavorful side dish with pork, ham and poultry.
- Replace half of the regular potatoes in your favorite recipes with sweet potatoes for a touch of color and sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon, honey, coconut, lime and nutmeg all pair well with the flavor of sweet potatoes.
- Add mashed cooked sweet potatoes to muffins, cakes, quick breads, biscuits, yeast breads and pies.
Sweet Potato Recipes
Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
Curried Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Pineapple