Preparing Sweet Potatoes
Before you learn how to bake sweet potatoes, find out how to clean and slice them!
- Scrub sweet potatoes well before cooking.
- Whenever possible, cook them in their skins as they are easier to peel after cooking and retain more nutrients. They may be baked or boiled whole and then peeled and sliced or cubed.
- Peel sweet potatoes before cooking if they are to be added to soups or stews.
- How to bake sweet potatoes: If baking sweet potatoes whole, pierce the skin in several place with a fork before baking.
- Versatile sweet potatoes can be prepared in a variety of ways: baked, boiled, steamed, roasted, mashed, deep-fried, simmered in soups and stews and baked in pies and breads.
Serving Sweet Potatoes
- Cooked sweet potatoes can be used interchangeably with winter squash in most recipes.
- Slice or cube boiled sweet potatoes and glaze with honey or brown sugar.
- Top baked sweet potatoes with dollops of BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream.
- Flavor mashed sweet potatoes with a touch of maple syrup and nutmeg and garnish with a sprinkle of toasted chopped PLANTERS Pecans.
- Roast peeled, cubed sweet potatoes alongside onions and other root vegetables for a flavorful side dish with pork, ham and poultry.
- Replace half of the regular potatoes in your favorite recipes with sweet potatoes for a touch of color and sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon, honey, coconut, lime and nutmeg all pair well with the flavor of sweet potatoes.
- Add mashed cooked sweet potatoes to muffins, cakes, quick breads, biscuits, yeast breads and pies.
Sweet Potato Recipes
Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
Curried Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Pineapple