l. Remove the yellow portion of the lemons using a vegetable peeler. Place in a saucepan with water to cover and baking soda. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
OR: Use a microplane or zester to scrape off lemon zest from all the lemons. Not necessary to boil with this method.
2. Remove and discard remaining white part of peel from lemons. For best results also remove and discard as much of the membranes as possible, as well as all the seeds, from the lemon sections before adding the fruit to the blender to chop. Move the prepared lemon mixture to a large measuring container. Then grate the lemon peel in the blender or food processor with a small amount of juice which will give you the lemon zest. Add to measuring container.
3. Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice, and add to the measuring container. When you have the required 8 cups of prepared fruit, transfer to large saucepot. If you do not have 8 cups of fruit, you may add lemon juice or water in order to have the exact amount of 8 cups.
4. Measure sugar into separate bowl. Mix ½ cup sugar from measured amount and pectin in a small bowl. Stir pectin-sugar mixture into fruit in saucepot. Add margarine. Place over high heat; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in remaining sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam with metal spoon. With the addition of 1 tsp. butter or margarine, there should be little or no foam with which to contend.
5. Ladle quickly into prepared sterilized jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with lids. Screw on tightly. Invert jars for 5 minutes; then, turn jars upright. After jars cool, check seals. (Place jars in fridge, and they will seal faster.)
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.