6 lg eggs, separated (whites into a lg bowl, yolks into a cup)
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup milk
Chocolate Butter Frosting
1/2 cup (5 tsp. plus 1 tsp.) butter, softened
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp milk (approx.)
Add To Shopping List
Let's Make It
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease & flour a 9 inch springform pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and mace in a small bowl to blend. Beat egg whites with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside. Beat butter in another large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, and then egg yolks until blended. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Gently fold in egg white with a spatula. Pour into a prepared pan.
2. Bake 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs until tooth pick inserted into cake center comes out clean, cake is raised in middle & top is slightly cracked. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes before removing pan sides. Cool completely before frosting top and sides.
3. Frosting - beat butter & chocolate with mixer in a medium to blend. On low speed beat sugar, (mixture is crumbly) add vanilla & milk: beat until smooth and spreadable (if too thick, beat in more milk 1 tsp. at a time). Frost cake and enjoy.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.