1. Beat the butter and shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Beat until combined. Stir together the 2 tablespoons espresso powder and hot water in a small bowl until dissolved. Add to beaten mixture along with egg; beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
2. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a 7x2-inch loaf. Wrap each loaf with plastic wrap. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
3. For the coffee topping, stir together 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon espresso powder.
4. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut each loaf into 3/8-inch slices. Place slices about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with coffee topping. If desired, gently press a few coffee beans onto each dough slice. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.