1. In a mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until mixed. Beat in the egg and vanilla until the mixture is combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
2. Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in 1/2 cup granulated sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
3. Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies and cool completely on a wire rack.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.