1. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat butter, shortening, and 1 cup sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium-high speed until light and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in corn syrup, then egg until combined. Beat in vanilla and 3 tablespoons lime peel, scraping side of bowl until blended. At low speed, beat in flour mixture just until combined. Cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Mix together 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon lime peel in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
4. Spread remaining 1/3 cup sugar on a plate. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Fill a 1/4-cup dry measuring cup with dough. Shape dough into a ball; then roll in sugar. Place on prepared cookie sheet. With bottom of a glass, gently press top of ball into a 2 1/2-inch circle. Repeat with remaining dough and sugar, arranging 4 cookies on each cookie sheet. Bake cookies until edges begin to color, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool cookies on pan 5 minutes. Sprinkle warm cookies with lime-sugar mixture. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.