1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries or peaches, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon s unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
Purchased colored granulated sugar or white non pariels (optional)
Add To Shopping List
Let's Make It
1. Let ice cream or frozen yogurt stand for 15 minutes to soften. Stir in fresh chopped fruit, if using. Spread mixture evenly in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Cover and freeze until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar, brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and baking powder until just combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in melted chocolate. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion of dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 3-1/2-inch decorative cookie cutter. Cut out centers with a 3/4-inch decorative cookie cutter, if desired. Reroll any dough scraps. You should have a total of sixteen 3-1/2-inch cookies. Place cutouts on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Brush cookie tops with water and sprinkle with colored granulated sugar, if desired. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
5. To assemble, let ice cream or frozen yogurt stand for 5 minutes to slightly soften. Cut with the same 3-1/2-inch cookie cutter used for the cookies (will have 8 cutouts). Set out 8 of the cookies with the "wrong" side up. Place an ice cream cutout on top of each cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing slightly to seal to ice cream.
6. Wrap each ice cream sandwich individually in plastic wrap; freeze at least 2 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Freeze for up to 1 month.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.