1. Combine fruit, nuts and ginger in a very large bowl. Sift together flour, spices and salt. Cream the butter until light. Gradually beat in sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of brandy or whatever you have chosen to use. Mixture may appear curdled but this will not affect cake. Add above mixture to floured fruit mixture, stirring until completely mixed. Batter will be stiff.
2. Turn into prepared pan. [Pan sizes and baking time at bottom.] To prepare pan, grease pan thoroughly, line completely with heavy brown paper and press in firmly. Then grease paper very well.
3. Bake in a slow oven, 300-325°F, until deep golden brown & cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan. When just warm pour rest of brandy or whatever you used, over cake very slowly so it will sink into the cake as you pour. Let cool in pan overnight. Remove next day and wrap in transparent wrap then in foil and store in a cool dry place. Cake should be made at least a month in advance but 3 months is better.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.