1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Melt the butter and mix together with the flour, powdered sugar and water.
3. Press the soft dough into the base and up the sides of a 9 inch pie pan.
4. Cut off excess dough and save for later.
5. Pierce the base several times and bake blind on a baking tray for 20 minutes adding 5 min until base is cooked.
1. Peel, core and slice apples coarsely for chunky apple pieces.
2. Add sugar, flour and spices to apples.
3. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Drain the excess juice and place apples in the pie crust.
1. Mix together the flour and brown sugar.
2. Add pinches of dough, and using a pastry cutter, cut the dough into the flour mixture until the mixture is the size of small peas. (Add more dough appropriately to get the desired size.)
3. Sprinkle the topping over the apple filling.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To make a thicker side crust, add additional crust to the pie by using the remaining pie crust dough by pressing it into the already cooked pie crust.
3. After draining the juice from the apples place those in the pie crust.
4. Sprinkle with the crumble topping.
5. Cover crust with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking. (Also place a cookie sheet on bottom rack to catch juice.)
6. Bake for 50 minutes.