1. In a medium pot, sauté onions in oil. Add the split peas, ham bone, and enough water to cover ingredients; season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover and cook until there are no solid peas left, just a green liquid, about 2 hours. Stir periodically while cooking, adding more water as needed to keep the ham bone covered.
3. Once the soup is a green liquid, remove from heat. Remove the ham bone and pull or cut off any remaining ham pieces; discard the bone and return the ham to the soup and let stand so it will thicken. Once thickened, you may need to heat through to serve.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.