1. To prepare the caponata, saute onions and a tablespoon of garlic until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes more. Add eggplant, red peppers, celery, olives and capers. Cook until the juices in the pan have evaporated, then add vinegar and water. Cook for another 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened and have a chunky sauce consistency. Add pinenuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Hold warm until needed.
2. To prepare the pita crisps, combine olive oil and remaining garlic. Brush mixture on all the pita bread. Place in a preheated 450°F oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
3. For each serving, layer 1 pita crisp, 1 oz. fresh mozzarella, 1 oz. caponata, 1 oz. fresh mozzarella, 1 oz. caponata. Repeat process for second level
Note: Garnish with caperberries and toasted pinenuts.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.