By definition, coffee cakes are scrumptious with coffee. But not all are made with coffee. This one is—and it's topped with creamy mocha frosting.
What You Need
Original recipe yields 16 servings
1 cup of water
8 Tbsp. MAXWELL HOUSE Colombian Supreme Coffee
1/2 cup whole milk
2 sticks (8 oz.) butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
3 eggs at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
2 Tbsp. MAXWELL HOUSE Instant Coffee
2 oz. (1/2 of 4 oz. pkg.) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, shaved, divided
16 chocolate-covered espresso beans for garnish
Add To Shopping List
Let's Make It
1. Make the coffee with the water and the 8 tablespoons coffee following your coffee pot directions and let it cool. Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small pot until butter is melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat the oven to 350° F.
3. Grease and lightly flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
4. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
5. In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue mixing for 5 minutes more. Reduce the speed to low. Add the vanilla, flour mixture, butter mixture and coffee and mix for 1 more minute.
6. Pour the batter into baking pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks, gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.
7. In a large bowl gently mix the COOL WHIP, instant coffee and 6 tablespoons of shaved chocolate.
8. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, spreading 1/2 of the COOL WHIP mixture on top, place the other cake layer on top and spread the top with remaining COOL WHIP mixture.
9. Add the remaining shaved chocolate and chocolate covered espresso beans, if using, on top of the cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.