Enjoy a sweet sponge cake with a hint of almond and vanilla is soaked in sweetened milk and topped with light and fluffy cream frosting and a cherry. This Mexican dessert from Joy Wilson of Joy the Baker is simple and indulgent!
What You Need
Original recipe yields 12 servings
For the cake:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teasponn salt
6 large egg s, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teasponn pure almond extract
Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil
For the milks:
1 cup heavy cream
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 5-ounce can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons rum
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons For the frosting:
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
sprinkles and maraschino cherries for garnish
Add To Shopping List
Reynolds® is a registered trademark of Reynolds Consumer Products LLC
Let's Make It
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil and set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Whip together the egg whites in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the cream of tartar and whip until soft peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the egg whites to a separate bowl.
4. Beat the egg yolks in the mixing bowl using a paddle attachment until thick and pale in color. Add the granulated sugar and beat on high for about 5 minutes, until very thick and ribbons fall when you lift the paddle attachment. Stir in the vanilla extract, almond extract and milk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Fold in the egg whites, in three increments, making sure to thoroughly incorporate the whites but try not to over-mix.
6. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Whisk together the three milks in a medium bowl. Whisk in the rum and vanilla extract. Using a wooden skewer, poke holes all throughout the cooled cake. This will allow for the milk mixture to seep in. Pour the milk evenly over the cake. Cover with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil and allow to chill in the fridge for about 3 hours or overnight.
8. Whip together the heavy cream along with the powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the chilled cake. Decorate with sprinkles and cherries. Slice generously and enjoy!
Reynolds Kitchens Tip
Line your baking pan with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil for cake that won’t stick.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.