This strawberry shortcake from Joy Wilson of Joy the Baker is a summertime classic. This version ups the ante by warming cream cheese pound cake over a hot grill alongside sugary sweet strawberries. With chilled sweet cream, this classic dessert is sublime.
What You Need
Original recipe yields 8 servings
For the pound cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large egg s
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Reynolds® Aluminum Foil Baking Cups – jumbo
Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil
For the strawberries:
1-1/2 pounds strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup For the cream:
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Add To Shopping List
Reynolds® is a registered trademark of Reynolds Consumer Products LLC
Let's Make It
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and place a rack in the center of the oven. Line a 9×5-inch baking pan with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil and set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream together softened butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl and make sure that the butter and cream cheese are evenly mixed. Add the sugar to the butter and cream cheese mixture, and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
4. Beat in one egg at a time, mixing for one minute after each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla extract.
5. Add dry ingredients all at once. Beat on low speed until dry ingredients are completely incorporated. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, rotating once or twice during baking. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature. Wrap the cooled cake and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
6. Slice the chilled pound cake into 8 thick slices.
7. Toss the strawberries together with the sugar in a small bowl. Allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
8. Whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar, salt and vanilla until soft peaks form. Set aside.
9. Grill the slices of pound cake over a warm, greased grill until golden brown grill marks appear on both sides of cake, flipping once.
10. Warm the strawberries on the grill by spooning strawberries among 8 Jumbo Reynolds® Aluminum Foil Baking Cups and warming alongside the pound cake.
11. Serve warm pound cake slices with warmed strawberries and sweet cream.
Reynolds Kitchens Tip
Line your baking sheets and pans with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil for easy cleanup and no scrubbing.
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fibers 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.